2013 Inaugural Platform
- The inaugural platform is constructed entirely from scratch for each inaugural ceremony.
- The platform will be more than 10,000 square feet—the same size as the platform used for the 2005 inaugural, which was the largest platform ever built for an inauguration.
- On inauguration day it will hold more than 1,600 people including:
- President and Vice-President and their families
- President and Vice-President-elects and their families
- Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Chief Justice and Associate Justices of the Supreme Court
- Former Presidents
- Diplomatic Corps
- Cabinet Members (and Nominees)
- Members of Congress
- The Joint Chiefs of Staff
- In addition, bleachers built above the platform, on the Upper West Terrace will hold another 1,000 people including choirs and guests.
- The platform is ADA accessible.
- It is a stadium design, which maximizes the sightlines for the guests on the platform.
- It is designed to blend architecturally with the U.S. Capitol.
- Planning and design of the platform began more than a year ago.